Transplant Games of America Home Page | Register to be an Organ Donor
There has been a lot of talk about Cleveland’s big upcoming summer and the Republican National Convention – and rightfully so. But another important event with a great cause also chose to bring their 2016 event to Cleveland. The Donate Life Transplant Games of America will bring thousands of people to Cleveland and highlight the life-saving issue of organ donation and transplantation.
Started over 20 years ago, the Transplant Games is a multi-sport event for organ, tissue and corneal recipients, living donors and donor families. The event is as inspirational as an event can be, with thousands of athletes only competing because of the life-saving organ transplant they received.
Operational planning for the event has been underway for several months with the Sports Commission, Lifebanc and Eversight Ohio managing the event locally for the Transplant Games of America – based in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Transplant Games by the numbers:
- Over 6,000 estimated participants
- Over 20 sports at 6 different venues
- 2,000 volunteers
- 12 ancillary events including:
- Opening Ceremony
- Donor Tribute
- Closing Ceremony
- Festival Village at the FirstMerit Convention Center of Cleveland
- $8.1 million of economic activity
Few sporting events can make the claim as being life-saving, and the Transplant Games are one of those events. The numbers on organ donation are startling and the overall goal of the Games is to raise awareness and the number of people registered as organ donors
Facts on Organ Donation:
- 90% of Ohioans favor organ donation, but only 58% are registered donors
- 1 organ, eye or tissue donor can affect up to 50 lives
- Every 10 minutes a new name is added to the transplant waiting list
- More than 125,000 people in the United States are waiting for an organ donation