OUT COMPETING: A virtual film series celebrating LGBTQIA athletes who are changing perceptions in sports.
Join us for a virtual film series on Wednesday, Nov. 11 - Sunday, Nov. 15, 2020 for an inside look at the obstacles LGBTQIA athletes face on all levels of our present-day sports culture.
Held in conjunction with the LGBT Community Center of Greater Cleveland’s Trans in the CLE! event, this film series provides exclusive access to three documentaries that shed light on the barriers threatening LGBTQIA athletes and what they endure to overcome those challenges.
- "Alone in the Game" by David McFarland, Creator and Executive Producer, follows a group of elite athletes and iconic figures to explore the ongoing struggles LGBTQIA athletes are facing at the professional, collegiate and Olympic levels.
- "Changing the Game" by Michael Barnett, Director, takes viewers into the lives of three transgender high school athletes whose fight to participate in the sports they love has become one of the most controversial cultural touchpoints.
- "Transformer" by Michael Del Monte, Director, details how Matt "Kroc" Kroczaleski, former U.S. Marine and world record weightlifter, was publicly outed as being transgender in the summer of 2015. After being banned from competing, disowned by her parents and changing her name to “Janae,” this film follows her as she attempts to find her place in society.
All ticket purchasers will also have access to a live Q&A with Janae Marie Kroc, star of "Transformer," on Saturday, Nov. 14, 2020.
- Tickets are $5 per film or $12 for all three films (fees apply).
- Registration is required, but spots are limited.
- Ticket purchasers may watch the films at their own convenience anytime between Wednesday, Nov. 11 and Sunday, Nov. 15, but the viewing timeframe is 24 hours once streaming begins for each film.
- Ticket sales and streaming are restricted to Ohio residents only.
Learn more about the LGBT Community Center of Greater Cleveland’s Trans in the CLE! event here.
Additionally, to hear more about the LGBTQIA sports environment in Ohio and how you can help, check out the pre-recorded educational panels with local experts on the film page.
OUT Competing is a series of our Velocity programming, a community-wide initiative of Greater Cleveland Sports Commission to raise required funding and maximize the community impact of hosting some of the most significant events in sports.