Youth Education through Sports (YES) provides Northeast Ohio's under resourced youth with experiences that illustrate how sports empower and prepare individuals for success in life.
Through a strong partnership Sherwin-Williams Company and The MetroHealth System, YES provides youth in City of Cleveland's 21 recreation centers and the local community access to unique sporting experiences.
Greater Cleveland Sports Commission has a robust history of serving the community through high impact programs. YES serves the Greater Cleveland area by:
- providing children with opportunities for physical activity
- providing access to unique experiences
- offering health and wellness education.
YES partners with community organizations such as Positive Coaching Alliance, ZENworks Yoga and Ohio City Bicycle Co-Op to put on programs which coincide with Greater Cleveland Sports Commission’s events.
2021 YES PROGRAM RECAP
2022 YES PROGRAMS
NBA ALL-STAR | YOUTH CLINIC | JAN. 29 | FREDERICK DOUGLASS REC CENTER
- 100 local youth, ages 9-14, were invited to a basketball and life skills clinic focused on sport-specific skills and how leadership skills and positive sportsmanship can translate to success both on and off the court
- This clinic was led by area experts and coaches leading up to NBA All-Star 2022 in February
- Lunch, activity worksheets and basketball-themed giveaways were provided to all attendees
USA ARTISTIC SWIMMING JUNIOR & SENIOR CHAMPIONSHIPS | APRIL 9 | SPIRE INSTITUTE
- 40 youth, ages 8-12, were invited to attend the Championship and had the opportunity to interact with athletes and coaches as they discuss their experiences with the sport of artistic swimming
- Health and wellness activities focused on water safety and proper nutrition were provided, as well as general fitness activities at SPIRE Performance
- Snacks, activity worksheets, swimming-themed giveaways and admission to watch the competition were provided to all attendees
NCAA DIII OUTDOOR TRACK & FIELD CHAMPIONSHIPS | MAY 28 | SPIRE INSTITUTE
- 40 youth, ages 11-14, will be invited to participate in general fitness and track & field-specific activities with trainers from SPIRE Performance during the Championship
- Health and wellness activities focused on proper hydration will be provided
- Snacks, running-themed giveaways and admission to watch the competition will be provided to all attendees
HIGH SCHOOL CAREER EXPLORATION
- 20 children, ages 14-18, will attend sessions to learn about what it's like working in the sports & events industry from local professionals.
- This group met once per week for two hours to learn about industries such as sports marketing, nonprofits, event logistics, community programming, college athletics and more.
- Lessons and tips on goal setting, professional etiquette and internships will be shared with the group each week. Additionally, attendees will have the opportunity to tour local sports venues and participate in team activities focused on how to handle real-world scenarios that arise in the sports industry
- At the conclusion of the program, participants will have the opportunity to assist at a GCSC event, USA Beach Rugby, on July 16 July 16 at Edgewater Park.
TENNIS IN THE LAND | AUGUST 27 | JACOBS PAVILION AT NAUTICA
- 40 youth, ages 11-16, will be invited to attend the event and participate in a tennis clinic with local instructors and experts
- Health and wellness activities focused on proper hydration and nutrition will be provided, as well as an opportunity to hear from athletes and coaches about their experience competing at a national level.
- Snacks, activity worksheets, tennis-themed giveaways and admission to watch the competition will be provided to all attendees.
*All YES programming content and dates are subject to change. Greater Cleveland Sports Commission will adhere to the non-contact sport and social distance guidelines set by local health authorities and all event specific protocols will be followed.*
For more information, please contact our Programming & Event Manager, Rebecca Griesmer.