Youth Education through Sports (YES) provides Northeast Ohio's underserved youth with experiences that illustrate how sports empower and prepare individuals for success in life.
Through a strong partnership Sherwin-Williams Company, YES provides youth in City of Cleveland's 21 recreation centers and the local community access to unique sporting experiences.
Greater Cleveland Sports Commission has a robust history of serving the community through high impact programs. YES serves the Greater Cleveland area by providing children with opportunities for physical activity, providing access to unique experiences and offering health and wellness education.
YES partners with community organizations such as Positive Coaching Alliance, ZENworks Yoga and Ohio City Bicycle Co-Op to put on programs which coincide with Greater Cleveland Sports Commission’s events.
2021 YES PROGRAMS
CLEVELAND POWER OF SPORT SUMMIT - APRIL 30
- The Summit celebrated diversity, equity and inclusion within the Cleveland community and demonstrated how sports can be used as a catalyst for change for important social issues.
- This event showcased local and national organizations who are utilizing their voices to address topics related to adaptive sports, gender equity, LGBTQIA+ athletes, mental health, racial equity and more.
- 50 instructors from City of Cleveland Recreation Center were invited to attend a workshop focused on diversity training and guidance for working with youth in this landscape.
NFL DRAFT EXPERIENCE - MAY 1
- 210 local youth, ages 10-15, received tickets during a specific time slot for a free, ticketed NFL Draft Experience.
- Youth participated in the NFL Draft Experience, fan fest-related activities and sponsor activations under the supervision of their Recreation Center instructors.
HIGH SCHOOL CAREER EXPLORATION
SUMMER 2021 START DATE: JULY 28
- 20 children, ages 14-17, will attend sessions to learn about what it's like working in the sports & events industry from local professionals.
- Group will meet once per week for two hours to learn about industries such as sports marketing, event logistics, community programming, college athletics and more.
- Lessons and tips on interview skills, goal setting, professional etiquette, internships and more will be shared with the group each week.
- At the conclusion of the program, participants will have the opportunity to assist at a GCSC event, Tennis in the Land, A WTA 250 Event, and shadow professionals overseeing areas such as participant registration, volunteer management, merchandise sales, ticket sales and more.
US MASTER'S SWIMMING LONG COURSE NATIONALS - OCTOBER 9
SPIRE INSTITUTE - TIME: TBD
- 40 local youth, ages 11-15, will be invited to attend the event and attend a session featuring participating athletes to learn about their experiences competing and training in the sport of swimming.
- Health and wellness activities related to water safety and proper nutrition will be provided to participants, as well as general fitness activities at SPIRE Performance.
- Snacks, relevant activity pages and admission to watch the competition will be provided to all attendees.
2019 YES Program Recap
*All YES programming content and dates are subject to change. Greater Cleveland Sports Commission will adhere to the non-contact sport and social distance guidelines set by local health authorities and all event specific protocols will be followed.*
For more information, please contact our Programming & Event Manager, Rebecca Griesmer.